With the time change, I was anxiously awaiting Desperate Housewives to come on at 8. However, it was 5:30 and dark! I realized I needed to make the time zoom a little faster, so I decided to make a pumpkin pie.
Not just any pumpkin pie, a Weight Watchers friendly pumpkin pie! I found this great recipe in Cooking Light, believe it or not. I’m being completely serious when I say I cannot tell the difference between normal pumpkin pie and this pumpkin pie!
Source: Cooking Light
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury) (I used premade frozen crust)
- Cooking spray
Topping: (I omitted this topping and subbed some Cool Whip Fat Free)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Position oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare filling, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add pumpkin, and stir with a whisk until smooth.
- To prepare crust, roll dough into an 11-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under and flute.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the crust. Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet on lowest oven rack. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 50 minutes or until almost set. Cool completely on wire rack.
To prepare topping, beat cream with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the amaretto and powdered sugar, and beat until blended. Serve with pie.
POINTS*: 4.5/slice (with 1 tbsp. whipped topping included)
Seriously, try this recipe for the holiday season. You will not be disappointed! This is now going to be a favorite I’m bringing to every holiday I’m asked to bring a dish for!