My fiance and I had some leftover rotisserie chicken from Target to use up. So, I searched online for ideas and found this great recipe for chimichangas on Recipezaar. Even better, it’s healthy!
Oven Fried Chimichangas
- 2/3 cup picante sauce or your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped with some tops (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- chopped green onion, for serving
- picante sauce, for serving
Mix the chicken, picante sauce/salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions together in a bowl.
Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
Fold the opposite sides over filling.
Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
Brush with melted margarine.
Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden.
Garnish with additional cheese and green onion and serve salsa on the side.
These came out pretty good. I would add more cheese for next time, but I think this is a definite keeper in the recipe file for us!