Since it’s unbelievably less than 8 weeks until Christmas, I’m finding myself more and more in the mood to bake. Be sure to check this blog every Monday leading up to Christmas for some baked goods that are also SKINNY!!
I spent this weekend making another package for Operation Baking Gals, and happened to find this recipe trying to find a spiced biscotti. I was glad to find that I wouldn’t feel too guilty tasting this recipe to make sure it came out fine since this is a recipe from Cooking Light.
That being said, this was a pretty difficult dough to work with. It’s extremely crumbly, and you really have to work it well to get it to form into logs. In the end, though, this was a pretty good biscotti, and it’s definitely worth a try!
Source: Cooking Light (found on Recipezaar)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Measure flour into a large bowl and add 1 C. Sugar, Baking powder, and salt.
- Mix oil, vanilla and the eggs in a small bowl and add to the large bowl, your dough will be dry and very crumbly.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 7 or 8 times. It may take a while, but the dough will eventually come together.
- Divide in half. Shape each portion into a roll about 8 inches long, and place them a six or so inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Flatten each roll to 1 inch thick.
- Combine the 2 Tbsp. Sugar and cinnamon, then gently brush the tops of the rolls with the egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the sheet and cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut diagonally into 1/2 inch slices and lay them cut sides down on the cookie sheet again.
- Reduce oven temp to 325 and then bake 10 more minutes, turn over and bake 10 more. They’ll be soft in the middle but will harden as they cool. Cool completely on a wire rack.
The Skinny: per serving, makes 30
Fat: 1.1 g
Fiber: 0.4 g