For our party, we knew we wanted to do something summery and fun. Skewers/kabobs were our main meats and ended up a hit! We had shrimp skewers, because we knew that shrimp prices would be shooting up any day now, because of the oil “spill”, and wanted to make sure we enjoyed Gulf shrimp at least one more time. This shrimp skewer was delicious and very easy to put together.
Spicy BBQ Shrimp Skewers
Source: Emeril Lagasse
- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves, plus more, for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled
If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for about an hour before starting on the recipe.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the shrimp and the relish mix well to combine. Add the shrimp to the seasoning paste, and toss to thoroughly coat with the seasoning mixture. Let the shrimp sit in the seasoning mixture while you prepare the grill.
- Prepare a grill and thread the shrimp onto 4 or 6 skewers, depending on their size. Place shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink and are lightly charred on both sides. Do not overcook!