You know when people say, “OMG this is the best thing since sliced bread!”? Whenever someone says that, I always think about how sliced bread is actually pretty boring. Don’t get me wrong here, because I love a good sandwich, but sliced bread in a bag isn’t something (bread-wise) that I consider to be the “best thing”. In fact, the thought of sliced bread brings me back to school lunch days when I would push through trying to eat a soggy turkey sandwich, and growing envious of those who got to bring the fancy awesome Lunchables. (Mom, if you are reading this, I love you and realize how stupidly expensive Lunchables are now.)
A while back, Foodbuzz sent me some samples of Nature’s Pride bread. I wasn’t expecting to be really wow-ed by the bread, but I will say that this bread is sort of our staple now. I especially love the honey wheat and the wheat hamburger buns. They don’t have that gross, dry texture that other wheat breads in store have, and for that, we are a Nature’s Pride convert.
As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker’s Program, Foodbuzz offered a coupon for a free Nature’s Pride product in exchange for making up a little ol’ recipe highlighting Nature’s Pride bread. Six bloggers’ recipes will be chosen to be an ambassador for Nature’s Pride at this year’s Foodbuzz Festival! ::crosses fingers::
I think I would go happy-crazy if I were chosen. I’ve never been to California before, and I’d love to meet/greet other food bloggers! 😀
Anyway, back to the post. I figured since I buy the bread every week, I’ll just make a recipe before the coupon comes in.
I definitely wanted to make sliced bread not-so-boring, so I kept the idea in my mind to make a recipe with sliced sandwich bread! I sort of just thought up this recipe in my head: cinnamon toast, cream cheese spread, fresh mashed berries and a nutella drizzle on top. What’s not to like?
This recipe is insanely delicious and sinful. The crunchy toasty bread and the juicy berries with chocolate and cream cheese made a perfect little dessert bite (or two). It’s also ridiculously easy. You could totally make this for a party, and impress the guests.
Berry Mash Bruschetta
Source: an original
- 6 slices Nature’s Pride Honey Wheat sliced bread
- Unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup nutella
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the bread into fourths and place on the baking sheet.
- While waiting for the oven to preheat, mix the granulated sugar with the cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the nutella and milk in another bowl to make the nutella drizzle. Set aside.
- Mix the cream cheese with 1 1/2 tbsp. of the cinnamon sugar mixture in another bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse berries and then place them in a bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Place the sliced bread pieces in the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until a golden, toasty brown. Turn off the oven. Immediately add a thin layer of butter and then liberally sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Place back in the oven for an additional 2 minutes to ensure that the butter/cinnamon sugar set in.
- Take the bread out and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Now, assemble your bruschettas. Add a thin layer of the cinnamon cream cheese to the bread slice, add about 1 tbsp. of the berry mash on top (making sure not to avoid adding too much berry juice), and drizzle nutella on top! Enjoy!
Note: You may have some berries leftover, but there’s nothing wrong with that, right?