I’m always looking for new, healthy options to cook for dinner. I came upon this recipe from Cooking Light, and got really excited because my husband and I are huge garlic nuts!
I will say that this recipe was fairly good and very easy (great weeknight meal to make), but the sauce definitely needs more spices than what is mentioned in the recipe. However, I’m from Louisiana, so take that with a grain of salt if you aren’t used to spice, but I had to sprinkle some serious Tony Chachere’s on this. I probably will make this again with heavy adaptations, since it’s a good, healthy base sauce for pasta.
Chicken Pasta in Garlic Wine Sauce
Source: Cooking Light
- 4 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon (you can use any dried herb, like basil or parsley as well)
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and keep warm.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place chicken breast halves in a shallow dish. Combine 1 tablespoon flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Sprinkle flour mixture over chicken; toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add garlic, tarragon, and mushrooms to pan; sauté for 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms darken. Add white wine to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring frequently.
- Return chicken to the pan. Cover and simmer 2 minutes. Uncover; cook 1 minute or until chicken is done. Stir in noodles; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Place about 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
The Skinny – per serving, Serves 4
Note: I loaded up on more mushrooms than chicken to make my meal stretch further calorie wise. That is not reflected, however, in the nutritional facts.
Mushrooms are 15 calories/cup and barely any fat, so load up if you want! 🙂
Fat: 11.1 g
Fiber: 1.2 g