Categories: Entertaining/Parties, Fruit, Nifty Foodie Original, Pies
Since the Summer is winding down, it’s time to say goodbye to fresh, sweet berries and hello to juicy, flavorful apples. A great way to celebrate the season is with apple pie, of course.
Note: As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker’s Program, Foodbuzz offered a coupon for a free Nature’s Pride product in exchange for making up a little ol’ recipe highlighting Nature’s Pride bread. Six bloggers’ recipes will be chosen to be an ambassador for Nature’s Pride at this year’s Foodbuzz Festival!
Can you tell I’d really like to go to Foodbuzz Festival this year?
I took apple pie a few steps further and made this into a caramel apple pie a la mode bite. Talk about DELICIOUS and perfect for a party!
I’m sure you’re curious about the crust. The crust is simply sliced Honey Wheat bread, and it comes out perfectly crispy and sweet, which is great for a dessert crust! To do this, I used a 2″ circle cutter to cut out the crusts and pressed them into a mini muffin pan to shape them! I took a couple of pictures, since I’m a visual person, and thought pictures would help.
Super easy, right? Definitely give these a try! You’ll be glad that you did!
Caramel Apple Pie A La Mode Bites
Source: an original
makes 24 bites
- 12 slices of Nature’s Pride honey wheat bread
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced finely
- 1/2 stick butter
- 5 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp. flour
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel sundae topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a 2″-3″ circle cookie cutter, cut out circles in the bread. I was able to get 2 per slice.
- Press each circle into a mini muffin pan, making sure it’s pressed well against the edges to form into a good crust. (see above picture)
- Brush melted butter on the tops of the crusts.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle liberally over the buttered crusts.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes, until the crusts brown. Allow to cool.
- To make the apple filling, melt the 1/2 stick butter in a small pot and add apples. Then, add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook down for about 5 minutes on low/med-low heat. Add flour to thicken the sauce and cook another 5 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool until apple filling is just warm.
- To assemble the bites, add about 2 tsp. of ice cream to each of the crusts (just eyeball it). Add a tsp. of apple filling and then drizzle with caramel sundae topping. Serve immediately.