About a year ago, I bookmarked the popular one ingredient banana ice cream recipe. I usually don’t let bananas get super ripe in my house, because we go through them fairly quickly, but a couple of weeks ago, we forgot that I purchased a bunch to eat, and they were far too ripe to just eat on their own. I was about to make banana bread when I remembered this idea.
If you’re on a diet and you miss ice cream, I can tell you the texture is spot-on. It’s soft, creamy, frozen and very sweet, since the bananas are ripe. Since I’m a dieting rebel, though, I added a few tbsp. of nutella to the soft serve mixture. It was like eating marbled ice cream…very yummy and not too too bad for you!
If you have ripe bananas and a few extra minutes on your hands, definitely try this banana “ice cream”. It’s just too easy not to!
Banana Nutella “Ice Cream”
Source: adapted from The Kitchn
- 4-6 very ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp. nutella
- Slice bananas into small bites and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Freeze the bananas for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Place the banana slices in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Place the “ice cream” in a bowl and swirl in the nutella.
- Freeze for a couple of hours until set, if you’d prefer a scoop-able ice cream. Eat immediately if you prefer soft serve.