This quilt has been a work in progress since December of last year. It was a project where I ended up cutting the fabric, stashed the blocks away and forgot about it. I have so many projects like this just lying around in my craft room. However, I told myself I can’t tackle anything new until I actually finish some of these sewing projects that have already been cut. We’ll see how that goes.
I also told myself I can’t buy anymore fabric. Ha!
A few months before all of this packing and moving stuff happened, I sat down and got to work on these wonky blocks for this quilt pattern. Stupid me thought I totally memorized ALL of the instructions. Cut a third of the fabric in a wonky, slanted line, move one piece of the stack from the top to the bottom, and then sew back together.
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
I tried to cut 27 pieces of fabric all at once with my rotary cutter. What a mess. Don’t do it…trust me. I’m surprised I didn’t slice a finger off!
After I cut/resewed the pieces back together, I referred to the instructions thinking that there’s gotta be a better way. Well, yeah…the instructions said to do this in 3 groups of 9. Dangit!
So, of course this ruined every idea I had of having perfect blocks with 9 different fabrics in them. Oh well.
For the next four cuts, I grouped them in 3 groups of nine and tried my best to make sure that the squares had varying fabrics in them. I don’t think I got one block right. Lesson learned…I really should read instructions better. Ugh..I’m such a rebel!
The more I look at these blocks, though, the more I like them.
They’re much more random looking this way, and I think they came together quite beautifully in this quilt top!
Now, all that’s left is to sandwich the quilt, quilt it all together and sew the binding on! 🙂 Time to dust off the sewing machine and get this project going again!